[Dovecot] questions of how to connect to pop3s

Scott Berry scottbb1973 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 19:09:35 EET 2010

Hello there,

I am new to Dovecot and I am using version1.2.12.  I have included the
dovecot -n output:

root at ubuntuSnoopBear:/home/scott# dovecot -n
\# 1.2.12: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic-pae i686 Ubuntu 10.10
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: pop3 pop3s
listen: 995
ssl_key_password: nerdie1tech
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
login_greeting: pilotalknet.dyndns.org ready.
mail_privileged_group: mail
mbox_write_locks: fcntl dotlock
mail_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir: /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd

What I need to ensure is that everything is correctly set for a pop3s
server. I also need to know how to tell someone how to configure their
mail client as the pop3 and smtp server.  For example do I say
pop.pilotalknet.ldyndns.org and smtp.pilotalknet.dyndns.org?   The
hostname is:

pilotalknet.dyndns.org

also is it still possible to check the working of the connection via a
telnet connection doing:

telnet pilotalknet.dyndns.org:995

or do I have to do something different?  what I am achieving with the
telnet connection is to ensure the pop server comes up with the greeting
from dovecot.

Thanks much.