[Dovecot] Ongoing performance issues with 2.0.x

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Nov 6 16:07:04 EET 2010

Ralf Hildebrandt put forth on 11/5/2010 4:23 AM:
> Due to the ongoing performance issues with 2.0.x I switched back to
> 1.2.15 yesterday evening, with no changes to the machine or my users.
>
> (I migrated from 1.2.15 to 2.0.x by converting the existing config)
>
> Today, we have MUCH LESS load, with the same number of logins/min.
>
> I cannot say what exactly causes this immense increase in load, but one
> observation is that the time spent in system() has now dropped (user and
> iowait have stayed contant) to a third of the values I was seeing with
> 2.0.x.
>
> This evening I'll post some graphs showing two comparable 24  hour
> ranges.

Hi Ralf,

What hardware platform? (AMD/Intel/SPARC/PPC, generation/freq)
What OS platform?
What compiler/version?
What threading library?

If IPC is the culprit, it may very well be a platform/compiler/system
library issue and not a dovecot issue, given no one else seems to be
suffering this problem.

--
Stan