[Dovecot] Best (fastest + most stable) search config...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 5 01:24:42 EET 2010

On 4.11.2010, at 23.09, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> That shows that mdbox is twice as fast as maildir for uncached searches,
> which I'm guessing are the majority of searches.  I'd really be
> interested in seeing numbers for mbox as well.

Here's a way to do it in Linux:

1. Fill up the mailbox with messages:

imaptest logout=0 - append=100,50 msgs=10000 user=testaccount

When it finishes, imaptest goes to infinite loop and you have to kill -9 it. I guess I should fix that some day.

2. Flush page cache: echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

3. time doveadm search mailbox inbox text asdfasd

After 3 the mailbox should be cached, so you can run it again. Get imaptest from http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest

In non-Linux step 2 can be achieved by rebooting. :)