[Dovecot] Best (fastest + most stable) search config...

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Wed Nov 3 22:10:23 EET 2010

Timo Sirainen put forth on 11/3/2010 11:39 AM:
> On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 09:48 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
>
>> If I want to provide decent body search capability, what is the
>> best/most reliable/easiest to implement method to use?
>
> Squat's index updating is way too slow. Solr is the only other
> possibility right now. Not necessarily the easiest..

If Charles is currently using maildir or sdbox with Dovecot's default
body search, how much would his body search performance increase by
switching to mbox or mdbox, relatively speaking?  Obviously searching a
few hundred emails will be very fast with any mailbox format.  How about
body searching a list mail folder with 10k messages?

I use mbox.  It's been so long since I used the default body search I
can't recall what the search times were.  I've been using Squat for a
long time.  Its performance is lighting fast if it's primed.  If it's
not primed it is very slow.  I'm talking about folders with 5k to 16k
messages.

Charles, how many messages are in the IMAP folders you are body searching?

--
Stan