[Dovecot] Anvil client_limit reached

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 3 17:35:10 EET 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 14:12 +0100, Jürgen Obermann wrote:
> >> default_client_limit = 3000
> >> default_process_limit = 300
> >
> > If the default process limit is 300 and you haven't overridden that
> > (I didn't see service imap-login in your settings), how do you have
> > 1106 imap-login processes?
> >
> Perhaps the imap-login processes should have gone away but still hang araound and serve SSL sessions

No. Looks like default_process_limit was never used. The default was
unlimited number of processes. This is now fixed:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/b4b6bf889044

Removed unnecessary anvil connection from each auth worker process:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/3ce7879e3ac0

Added a warning to startup if anvil's client_limit is too low:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/97b286b6ec45

And if verbose_proctitle=yes anvil now shows in ps output how many
connections it's currently serving:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/4d91cec713cf
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/7b1aae5f7bd5

Hopefully those will get rid of this problem in future.