[Dovecot] Telnet access creates new maildir folders

Seasoul seasoul at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 04:58:52 EET 2010

Hi Fabio,

Many thnaks for your prompt reply, I was typing the below :)
So my path for mail_location is /var/mail/vmail/%d/%u but apparently that's
not what happens..any idea why ?

My dovecot.conf:

# 1.0.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
first_valid_gid: 0
last_valid_gid: 12000
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: maildir:/var/mail/vmail/%d/%u
mail_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
pop3_uidl_format(default):
pop3_uidl_format(imap):
pop3_uidl_format(pop3): %08Xu%08Xv
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  passdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
  userdb:
    driver: sql
    args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix

My dovecot-sql.conf (although not sure this is relevant for my issue):

driver = mysql
connect = dbname=postfix user=**** password=**** host=localhost
default_pass_scheme = PLAIN-MD5
password_query = SELECT password FROM mailox WHERE local_part= '%u'
user_query = SELECT home, uid, gid FROM users WHERE userid = '%u'