[Dovecot] How to get a working dovecot.conf?

oddball56 monkey9 at iae.nl
Tue Dec 21 17:07:25 EET 2010

Hi,

I installed openSUSE 11.3 server version, and followed the guidelines from:
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-opensuse-11.3-x86_64-ispconfig-3
Everything works, accept loggin into dovecot.
For many days i tried to get logged into dovecot, from localhost,
from other pc in the lan, from squirrelmail, not possible.
I read manuals on http://wiki.dovecot.org/ and tried to set the passwd db
like:

auth default {
..
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = /etc/passwd.dovecot
  }
..

The "args" were not accepted according to the output from dovecot -n

As now i installed dovecot 20, with a fresh dovecot.conf.
Ofcourse this was not working, so i 'updated' ISPConfig.
Now my dovecot.conf is a mess, and i get errormessages like:
Dec 20 21:00:02 AsusTT-sfn6 postfix/smtpd[7073]: fatal: no SASL
authentication mechanisms
And from dovecot: dovecot.pem missing from /etc/ssl/certs, so no ssl login
possible also
Now i am checking dovecot -n line by line and this message pops out:
mail_plugin_dir: access(/usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap) failed: No such file
or directory

passdb {
  driver = pam
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  driver = sql
}
furtheron:

ssl = no
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  driver = sql
}

it has 64 lines.
first and last_valid_uid and gid are set to 5000.
In this conf i did not change anything.
I would realy appreciate some help, as my only goal was to set up an imap
server
so i can access my mail from all over the world,
and have all mail in 'one' central place, instead of scattered all over many
pc's and laptops.
The irony is that evrything but this works ;-p

tia, for an answer.

Rob.