[Dovecot] Best way to move mail to an archive

Richard C. Cox conardcox at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 19:21:54 EET 2010

Hello all...new to dovecot and this list.

I have a question that may have been answered before, but I can't find anything
yet that addresses it directly.  I installed dovecot 2.0.8 (+postfix,
fetchmail) on a small server to manage several e-mail accounts.  I love this
software!

So, to back to the question:  I'd like to archive e-mail as it ages into a
single IMAP archive directory.  Ideally, I would like to set up a cron job to
search for e-mail in all of my imap directories that older that 'X' days and
move it to the archive directory.  I know that dovecot wants to manage e-mail
movement thru the IMAP interface, so I'm leery of just using ordinary Linux
commands to move mail around and bypass the IMAP protocol.  Does anybody have
any recommendations about dovecot/IMAP safe commands I could use to accomplish
this task?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for not being more knowledgeable about this
subject.

Regards,

Richard