[Dovecot] adding servers to director_mail_servers

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 16 16:37:14 EET 2010

Timo, sorry to get back to this, but im still confused :) It seems every time I want to add a director, or other need to restart one or work on its config, im having a hard time making things work again without service disruption (or minimal service disruption).

Lets say I have the following situation:

director1   director2   director3

They form a ring.  Now I shut down director2. Then director1 and 3 connect to each other to fix the ring right?  Now I restart director2. What happens? Do I have to restart director1 and 3 as well? And if so, what order do I do this?

And another situation. Lets say I have:

director1   director2   director3

Now I want to add director4.  So I change the config, add a new director server to the config. I put this new config on all director servers.  Now what order should I start and/or restart everything?

Regards,

Cor