[Dovecot] ssl enabled, but ssl_cert not set ( 2.0.7 freebsd 8.1 )

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 16 05:47:42 EET 2010

On 15.12.2010, at 21.57, Noel Butler wrote:

>> Willie Gillespie wrote:
>>> Does your configuration file have those "<" characters in it?  If so,
>>> try getting rid of those.
>>
>> It was pointed out to me that v2 does show "<" characters in the docs,
>> which I guess is a change since v1.
>>
>> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SSL/DovecotConfiguration
>
> WTF?  What was the rationale behind that I wonder.

It's now possible to put the SSL certs into the config file directly rather than require it to be in a separate file. This made it possible and easy to implement per-IP certificates. Well, now that I think about it, I guess it would have been possible to keep the original ssl_cert_file setting and just mark it as a "this is a filename, read it into memory" setting. That wouldn't have allowed in-config certs though. Also this "<" mechanism works for all settings, and might be useful in some places (such as ssl_key_password = </etc/dovecot/ssl-key-pass).