[Dovecot] Crash in 2.0.8 dovecot/imap - information capture

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Dec 13 14:57:30 EET 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 10:51 -0500, Tom Talpey wrote:

> 1) How can I be sure I get a core next time? I think it's because I
>     run dovecot/imap under a mail uid and didn't have write permission
>     to the cwd. Any way to verify that was it, and be sure it works?

http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html explains all of the things you need to
get core dumps. Although some of those settings are v1.x specific, so I
should look into updating the page..

Anyway, you can also test that you really get core dumps by manually
sending a SEGV signal to one test imap process.

> 2) What other settings would provide more info if it happens again?

The gdb backtrace will be enough.

> Dec 10 08:43:53 master: Error: service(imap): child 30862 killed with
> signal 11 (core dumps disabled)

Run "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting dovecot.