[Dovecot] Question about "slow" storage but fast cpus, plenty of ram and dovecot

Kerem Erciyes kerem.erciyes at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 20:21:27 EET 2010

Hi,

I am running a fair amount of stored e-mails on maildirs(10 GB+) in 846
folders that gets a fair amount of searching, and 20+ users accessing them,
mostly via IMAP and a few POP3 accounts. I am running these on a Linode XEN
server and have yet to hit any hard limits of "bare metal". User and Virual
databases are plain text files.

# 1.2.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32.16-linode28 i686 Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS ext3

Postfix + Dovecot + SSL for Both with Amavisd seems a breeze. No problems
related to infrastructure yet.

Yet I will wait to see how this system will grow, as we are planning to
include more users and doamins in our system in 2011.

So:

1. I am very interested in these questions about performance
2. My setup should provide some people another way to do things, since I am
not using mysql, ldap etc., kust plain old text files update via scripts
3. I am goind to test this system as we scale out, yet we are bound to add
LDAP for authentication for single sign on at some point, and I will try to
publish my benchmarks public, even if it is just for publicity's sake.

Regards,
Kerem

--
Kerem Erciyes