[Dovecot] IMAP aggregation and MUPDATE protocolo

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 10 03:15:26 EET 2010

On 9.12.2010, at 23.41, Ernesto Revilla Derksen wrote:

> Yes, we would be very interested in that libstorage thing. Our initial
> backends are Dovecot, Alfresco and an issue tracker, like Redmine. The
> issue tracker has actually NO IMAP interface. But perhaps we could
> offer a libstorage provider or a feed like Activity Feed, etc.
..
> Beside this, I'm still in doubt about if we're on the correct way of
> unifying information of different sources.

I wonder if there would be a way for the services without IMAP interface to provide something really simple that Dovecot could use. If there are not a huge number of items ("mails") then it would work to simply have a POP3 UIDL style list and an ability to download an item by the UIDL. If there is a huge number of items, then maybe something extra where you can ask it to send only new items since last check (maybe "sent anything new since UIDL asdf"). I haven't really looked at RSS/Atom, maybe those would be enough for this?

Then this interface could be implemented for issue trackers etc. and Dovecot could have an optimized lib-storage interface for it.