[Dovecot] Dovecot as IMAP proxy to Exchange

Hugo Monteiro hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Wed Dec 8 21:12:19 EET 2010

Hello list,

I'm looking into the possibility to setup dovecot to act as an IMAP
proxy to an Exchange server.
Things i know beforehand:
- I will not be able to use the ldap (Active Directory) user DN for auth
binds (but i discovered that i could could use the user
userPrincipalName attribute as bind DN. I tested it using ldapsearch and
it worked fine.)
- I will not be able to perform any unbinded searches.
- The Exchange server is unique, so i can setup a static proxy route to
the server.

Given the above, i'd like to post some questions:

1 - Will i be able to use auth_bind = yes given the restrictions? My
first guess is that this might work if i use something like
"auth_bind_userdn = %u at example.org"

2 - Will i be able to specify a static route to the exchange server, not
having to rely on that information from the AD itself?

Another thing i'd like to know is if NTLM auth can be used while dovecot
acts only as proxy.

Thanks in advance,

Hugo Monteiro.

--
fct.unl.pt:~# cat .signature

Hugo Monteiro
Email	 : hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Telefone : +351 212948300 Ext.15307
Web      : http://hmonteiro.net

Divisão de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da
		   Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Quinta da Torre   2829-516 Caparica   Portugal
Telefone: +351 212948596   Fax: +351 212948548
www.fct.unl.pt                apoio at fct.unl.pt

fct.unl.pt:~# _