[Dovecot] mail.err

Karsten Bräckelmann guenther at rudersport.de
Wed Dec 8 01:21:55 EET 2010

Please *do* keep the thread on the list, by replying to the list only.

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 18:07 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 12/07/2010 05:25 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> > Even though this *really* is not related to dovecot at all, while we're
> > here, I might as well try to help nonetheless -- failing with an IPv6
> > address does look familiar. I don't recall the log messages, since I
> > mostly debugged with fetchmail directly.
>
> I don't think I am using IPv6, actually I KNOW I'm not using it, I'm
> pretty sure I turned off that functionality.. I don't think my router
> supports it..
> I KNOW I didn't try to add that functionality to either fetchmail,
> Postfix or Divecot!

As I mentioned in another post, your log message clearly shows the IPv6
address is being used. And yes, your host obviously is capable of that.

You don't need to specifically enable it with fetchmail. It will under
certain circumstances default to IPv6, which in your case happened. As
also mentioned, your postfix seems to not bind to the IPv6 address by
default, though, or it has deliberately been disabled.

Moreover, your router is not even in the picture here -- just like
dovecot, FWIW. Fetchmail fetches the mail from a remote server, and
tries to deliver it locally. That local delivery step is generating the
log messages. A mail, sent from and to your box. Long after the data
stream passed your router...

[ long snip, including your fetchmailrc general settings ]

--
char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu\0. at ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a\x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";