[Dovecot] dovecot - mac firewall problem

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Sun Aug 29 13:22:25 EEST 2010

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:22:41 -0500
Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> articulated:

> Patrick Fay put forth on 8/28/2010 7:57 PM:

> >> So, you're running Dovecot and Postfix on a laptop?  WTF?
> >>

> >     Sorry for the confusion--no laptop involved.  Postfix, dovecot,
> > etc, all running on intel-based desktop mac (a mac pro).
>
> Same difference.  You're running a full blown MTA and an IMAP server
> on a "client" machine.  Why?  Is this a production level setup?  Or
> do you have these server daemons installed merely for testing
> purposes before putting a dedicated server box into production?
>
> Running a production setup of an MTA and IMAP server on one's
> workstation, with an MX record etc pointed at the box, is very,
> very... odd, rare.

Maybe I missed it; however, I did not see where the OP asked for a
general assessment of his work station/network, but rather assistance
with a problem he was experiencing. Unless his environment precludes
him from operating his system the way he desires, the resulting babel
regarding his machines are outside the scope of his posting.

--
Jerry ✌
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net