[Dovecot] nfs director

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Aug 27 09:28:41 EEST 2010

Brandon,
I just fail to see why adding more complexity, and essentially making
$9K load balancers redundant, is the way of the future, Timo has said
its very safe for index's if non dovecot programs write to the maildir,
so why the hell is it deliberately left risky using dovecots deliver,
I've seen this all before in other setups/software, adding extras that
depend on this that and whatever, to make it nifty and play nice when it
can be done a simpler way, and it always leads to higher downtime in the
end, hence my refusal to go the director way, the simplest and easiest
out is to stop using deliver and use postfix's virtual which is what Ill
look at if it gives us problems that way there will be no risk
(according to Timo) and without added programs running and depending on
each other, thus keeping our points of failure low which is why our mail
servers have not had one single bit of downtime since I took over.

point in case is with hte OP's initial comment:

"if director service assign 60K user to each front end,  how it handle
if 5K
simultaneous user login, but all 5K happen to be assign to that one
machine,
it do all work whilst other 7 server sit there do nothing negating what
the
LB is design for?"

makes perfect sense if he is that big that it assings 60K to each
director that in peak periods theres a real risk, no mater how low, that
everyone logging in, is in one particular directors list, flooring that
box with I/O whilst his others sit there with one or two users on it.

I really thought we got over the NFS corruption stuff when Daniel wrote
Maildir  ...  *sigh*