[Dovecot] dovecot - mac firewall problem

Patrick Fay pfay at nd.edu
Fri Aug 27 06:21:17 EEST 2010

Hi,
     I am running dovecot 1.2.11 on mac osx 1.5.8.  Everything works
perfectly with the application-level firewall off, but enabling the
application firewall prevents dovecot connections.  I have tried
explicitly authorizing dovecot in the firewall, but it does not work.
I have searched everywhere I can think of to look, and haven't found a
solution, but have seen a couple other reports of what seems to be the
same problem.  The firewall logs the activity with what looks like a
corrupt process name: a typical appfirewall.log entry looks like:

Aug 26 20:43:45 hostname Firewall[55]: Deny ^L connecting from
XX.XX.XX.XX:37310 uid = 0 proto=6
Aug 26 20:43:53 hostname Firewall[55]: Deny ^H�^U���^Z
connecting from XX.XX.XX.XX:37310 uid = 0 proto=6
Aug 26 20:44:09 hostname Firewall[55]: Deny ^L connecting from
XX.XX.XX.XX:37310 uid = 0 proto=6
Aug 26 20:44:34 hostname Firewall[55]: Deny ^L connecting from
XX.XX.XX.XX:37312 uid = 0 proto=6
Aug 26 20:44:45: --- last message repeated 6 times ---

where "hostname" is my server name and the XX's are my client's IP
address.  For all of the other services I've used, the process name
(e.g. dovecot) should appear after "Deny" when blocking traffic,
instead of the funny characters.  Any advice on how I could resolve
this issue would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!