[Dovecot] Single instance storage - testing please

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Fri Aug 27 04:52:05 EEST 2010

On 08/26/2010 09:38 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> That won't be necessary. Once the hash changes, the new files
>>> are created with new hash function and it doesn't matter if the
>>> old hash is broken because you can't generate new files with it
>>> anymore anyway.
>>>

>> Won't files hashed with the old function begin to dupe though?
>
> You mean new hash would become a duplicate of the old? Well ..
>
> 1) It's highly unlikely to happen, especially because with the new
> hash function there again shouldn't be a way to create any specific
> hash.

Oh, no, that's not what I meant.

I mean, my friend sends me a video of two cats cuddling, and it gets MD5
hashed and stored somewhere (it's the first instance of that file in my
SIS). Tomorrow, I read the newspaper from 2005 explaining how MD5 is
broken, and decide to switch my hash function to MD4 for safety reasons.
A week later, another friend sends me the same video (it's REALLY cute).
Doesn't the video get stored again?