[Dovecot] Single instance storage - testing please

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 27 04:00:16 EEST 2010

On 27.8.2010, at 1.52, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> On 08/26/2010 04:41 PM, Mike Abbott wrote:
>>> 1. What hash algorithm to use?
>>
>>> 2. Should I add support for trusting hash uniqueness
>>
>> Use two hash functions and concatenate the hashes.  While both hash
>> systems may eventually be hacked it is unlikely that hacking them
>> will result in a targeted alias.
>
> Just make it possible to change the hash in the future.

I'm thinking about mail_attachment_hash setting where you can configure it pretty much any way you want.

> Have a utility that updates all (or a subset) of them.

That won't be necessary. Once the hash changes, the new files are created with new hash function and it doesn't matter if the old hash is broken because you can't generate new files with it anymore anyway.