[Dovecot] Can't get dovecot to see email folders

Blaster blaster at 556nato.com
Fri Aug 27 00:09:23 EEST 2010

  So I'm very frustrated, I've spent the better part of a day trying to
get dovecot 2.0.1 working...Most of the documentation on the Wiki seems
to think you are running an older version and therefore very little of
it applies.

I'm running 2.0.1 on OpenSolaris.

I seem to have 2 remaining issues:

1) Dovecot is not able to determine the home directory
2) IMAP clients can not get to the mail folder directory.  One client is
reporting that it can't open it in read only
mode.
3) I tried to get raw logging working, but apparently I couldn't because
of #1.

The architecture of Dovecot makes it difficult to transition from
another IMAP server.   If I force the MBOX to be /home/%u/mail, all of
my clients think the folders are in /home/%u/mail/mail.  If I set mbox
location to /home/%u, then dovecot tries to create .subscription and
.imap files/directories in the users home dir which it doesn't have
permission to do.  It would be nice if you could configure Dovecot in
such a way as to make transition easier, such as the ability to strip
off a duplicate trailing path, ie /home/%u/mail/mail becomes
/home/%u/mail....Otherwise this necessitates visiting countless IMAP
clients for reconfiguration...

Here is my config file:
  /opt/sbin/dovecot -n
# 2.0.1: /opt/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: SunOS 5.11 i86pc
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
mail_debug = yes
mail_gid = mail
mail_location = mbox:/home/%u/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_privileged_group = mail
mail_uid = dovecot
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
plugin {
   home = /home/%u
}
service imap-login {
   inet_listener imap {
     port = 143
   }
   inet_listener imaps {
     address = *
     port = 993
   }
}
service pop3-login {
   inet_listener pop3 {
     address = *
     port = 0
   }
   inet_listener pop3s {
     address = *
     port = 0
   }
}
ssl_cert = </usr/local/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </usr/local/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
gremlin [/opt/bin] #
gremlin [/opt/bin] #