[Dovecot] Help needed with plugin - Read Only access to IMAP mailbox

Chris Moules chris at gms.lu
Wed Aug 25 15:13:53 EEST 2010

Marcus Rueckert wrote:

>> This seems to be solving a different problem to mine. I need,
>> something like a mirror of accounts, on a separate server that gives
>> the user read-only access to the content.
>> The data is not public. I should only be accessible to the authorised user.
>> The input to this archive is the 'original' live maildir, so I do
>> not have control over the creation of folders, etc. This causes
>> problems with dovecot ACL inheritance as the mailbox is not created
>> via the dovecot server with the ACLs.

Marcus,

thanks again for the reply.

> you can specify default ACLs in /etc/dovecot/acls?

I did try this. Again, the issue being that they are not inherited to sub-folders, so a ACL for the INBOX is not used for all
folders. You need a global ACL file named for each folder name. So if a client creates a folder called "My banana photo
collection" you would need a file "/etc/dovecot/acls/My banana photo collection" with something like "authenticated rl"

It is not possible to have a global ACL for every possible folder name.

> i suggest playing around with mail_debug and see what ACL files it tries
> to load.
>
> and the name "public" for the namespace is confusing. it is not really
> public. only people with ACL entries can read from it. (yes i tested
> this)
>
> but unlike shared namespaces it is not user specific (e.g.
> "shared/foo at bar/INBOX")
>
>     darix

I have experimented with the ACL options. It could be do-able but it seemed a *lot* harder to get that right than to have a
little plugin on a 'archive/recover' server.

Regards

Chris