[Dovecot] (Single instance) attachment storage

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 25 02:19:15 EEST 2010

On 24.8.2010, at 22.53, Mike Abbott wrote:

>> attachments/ha/sh/hash-guid, which is a hard link to:
>> attachments/ha/sh/hashes/hash
>
> If I store, say, all students' mail directories on one file system, and all teachers' mail on another, will your SIS store one copy of each attachment, or one copy per file system?

It depends on your configuration.. The attachment directory is a setting. I was thinking that it it would typically be the same for all users, so if you have two filesystems, you'd need to decide which one will have the /attachments directory. Or you could put half the attachments to fs1 and the rest to fs2 (/attachments/00 .. 7f to fs1, /attachments/80 .. ff to fs2). Or something like that.

If you really want to separate students' and teachers' attachments to separate filesystems, you'll then have userdb return a separate attachment directory for either students or teachers. Then they won't share anything and Dovecot doesn't even know the existence of the other attachment storage.