[Dovecot] imap, imaps, ports; config for secure-only service

Mon Aug 23 14:18:04 EEST 2010

On 2010-08-22 11:47 AM, Ron Leach <ronleach at tesco.net> wrote:
> But I want to force secure working - in some kind of secure-only
> mode, so that internet-based users can reach the server securely.
> So I changed the protocols to:

<snip>

> I think I've disabled insecure access from any client - which is a
> pity because we have one client application that is not
> SSL/TLS-capable, as I mentioned before.

There are 2 ways I can think of to do this...

To do it with dovecot you'd use extra fields (allow_nets to be precise)...

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/AllowNets

Another way would be to open both ports, but limit access to the
insecure port to only the desired host(s) using your firewall... ie,
block access to port 143 at the firewall for all external clients...

--

Best regards,

Charles