[Dovecot] \" character in folder name results in strange LIST

Samuel Kvasnica bugreports at list.ims.co.at
Wed Aug 18 13:48:06 EEST 2010

 On 08/17/2010 11:58 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> but the bug I observe is about
>> misbehaving LIST command for argument "folder/*" which causes failed
>> resubscription of the subfolders due to parent folder not found.
> Can you be more specific? What commands does TB send to Dovecot and what does Dovecot reply?
Well, at least the TB3.1.2 relies fully on the result of LIST "folder/*"
command, expecting to get only its children listed.
But gets the parent dir along with children in the response. That breaks
somewhat the following automatic resubscription process and that
might be related to the additional trailing-separator issue.

But you were right, that workaround helps really. During my test, I
simply added that line to dovecot config and restarted dovecot.
That is not enough, Thunderbird client MUST BE RESTARTED as well !
Otherwise error messages continue...

Another workaround is to check "Show only subscribed folders" under
Server Setting/Advanced in Thunderbird. Using that,
Thunderbird will deploy only the LSUB command and that seems to work
bugfree, even for Maildir with no workaround setting !
So it is consistent even with itself withing maildir mode.

This is a very nasty mess. If there are some ancient clients like pine
or whatever we used on vt100 in the 90th that need broken LIST command,
there should be a workaround setting for that. But currently, we use a
workaround setting to get the expected standard behavior, thats really bad.

<squirt-mode>
On one hand, you push people to comply with standards regarding imap
capabilities in v2.0, on the other hand the essential LIST command  is
just messy and inconsistent.
</squirt-mode>