[Dovecot] dovecot-lda logging

Nishant Limbachia tuxrules.in at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 06:22:24 EEST 2010

Hi everyone,
I'm using Postfix and Dovecot with dovecot-lda used for local delivery.
I've successfully migrated from 1.2.13 to 2.0.0 however I have a little
problem with dovecot-lda logging.  With version 1.2.13, I use to log
dovecot-lda to /var/log/dovecot-lda.log with world-writable mode.  With
version 2.0.0, postfix complains:
"Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot.log: permission denied".

This is understandable because my dovecot.log file is 0600 mode.  My
question is how do I retain the 1.2.13 functionality of logging dovecot-lda
to /var/log/dovecot-lda.log.

I've read the LDA.txt in the wiki documentation and it states I can override
log_path & info_log_path like this:

protocol lda {
log_path = /var/log/dovecot-lda.log
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-lda.log
}

What I don't know is where to add that segment.  Should I add it to
10-logging.conf or 15-lda.conf?  Right now I've added that to both the files
but I still see the postfix permission denied message.

I will appreciate if someone can help out.
Thanks!

BTW, Great work Timo!!!  Thank you very much for a great piece of software!