[Dovecot] Thunderbird namespace handling

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 10 23:15:46 EEST 2010

On 10.8.2010, at 18.10, Thomas Hummel wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:52:48PM +0100, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> The point of namespace list was for clients to be able to figure out
>> what the namespaces there are. With list=yes and hidden=yes for your
>> only namespace you wouldn't be listing any namespaces, so clients
>> would think you don't have any personal namespaces at all..
>
> You are now confusing me :
>
> My understanding of "list = yes" was "while you're listing my parent
> namespace's content, list my content as well" or. That is, to me, the
> "list=yes" totally voids the concept of namespace.

Yes. And with prefix="" there is no parent.

> Maybe your sentence above means "if a client who plays by the rules (via
> NAMESPACE command) and hidden=yes, won't even see the default
> namespace."

Yeah, that's what I meant.

> But if so, that would be weird that a bad client would be able to list
> mailboxes and not a good client ?

Right. And that's why one personal namespace with prefix="" and hidden=yes isn't good. :)

> Or said in another way, I don't understand why list=yes isn't enough in
> anycase to list a namespace content.

Like you said above, if client issues NAMESPACE command and sees that there are no personal namespaces, it might not try to list anything (because NAMESPACE reply said there isn't anything).