[Dovecot] Outlook 2003 Client

Tue Aug 10 14:17:59 EEST 2010

William Blunn wrote:
> If you aren't even using Exchange Server, then there is little point
> using Outlook.

I hate being put in the position of defending Microsoft, but the fact
is, Outlooks Calendar is extremely nice, and the calendar integration
with email/contacts/tasks is outstanding (I have a friend who lives by
her Outlook). It also has the best/most syncing support/options (for
calendar/tasks/contacts).

> Outlook has enough other suckiness as well --- it has no concept of "no
> font", so will always stamp the author's font on to outgoing messages,
> even if the author wasn't intending to specify a font. Plus you will
> likely get several kilobytes of pointless stylesheet tacked on to every
> outgoing message.

Yes, had to deal with that suckiness far more that I would like... :)

Another huge peeve - why oh why do they force Outlook to rely on WORD
for its HTML rendering (for *displaying* html emails), instead of IE?

> Plus the authors don't seem to have heard of format-flowed, and instead
> seem to think it is a good idea to join together separate lines based on
> heuristics rather than following the established standards.

True, but other clients have their own problems - like Thunderbird's
long-standing HTML compose bug(s) that has(have) been causing users pain
for somany years...

> Altogether, I wouldn't touch Outlook with a bargepole.

As an IMAP client, I would agree - but it shines when in an
Windows/Exchange environment... maybe someday Thunderbird will come
close to its capabilities in the enterprise (can you say GPO support?),
but right now, sad to say it simply isn't.

--

Best regards,

Charles