[Dovecot] Write a c program to access a mailbox as a system user using dovecot version 2 includes/libs

Jonathan Siegle jsiegle at psu.edu
Fri Aug 6 17:16:33 EEST 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 7:28 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 6.8.2010, at 11.45, Jonathan Siegle wrote:
>
>> The first goal is to open these mailboxes(mdbox/dbox) with alpine version 2 and the mailboxes are on localhost.
>
> Why? Why not just let it use IMAP? Seems like a huge amount of work to make c-client call lib-storage. And who knows how many symbol conflicts there will be.. I thought you were talking about some standalone program.

Well the idea is for some client to be able to do updates to a mailbox. I grabbed alpine out of the air because it knows how to use different drivers to open mailboxes using the filesystem and not going through an IMAP socket. Maybe I shouldn't be going down this road. The end goal is for my Webmail client to access dovecot mailboxes. Does it make more sense to do the more traditional route of making Webmail an IMAP client?  I don't know. I thought it would make more sense to just access the filesystem and write a smart Webmail client. Right now my Webmail is a caching AJAX POP client.

Thanks,
Jonathan