[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0.rc3 Capability response

Christian Affolter c.affolter at stepping-stone.ch
Wed Aug 4 13:12:54 EEST 2010

Hi

I have a question regarding the IMAP CAPABILITY command behavior of
Dovecot 2.0.rc3.

While connecting to a Dovecot 1.2.4 server and requesting the supported
capabilities, Dovecot returns all capabilities:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
a1 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT
THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH
ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH ACL RIGHTS=texk QUOTA AUTH=PLAIN
AUTH=CRAM-MD5
a1 OK Capability completed.

Doing the same on 2.0.rc3, will return only a limited set of supported
capabilities:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
a1 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN
a1 OK Capability completed.

However after a user has logged in, Dovecot 2.0.rc3 returns all
supported capabilities:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
a1 login user at example.com pass
a1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE
QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS QUOTA
ACL RIGHTS=texk] Logged in
a2 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT
SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE
CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC
ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS QUOTA ACL
RIGHTS=texk
a2 OK Capability completed

So what's the idea behind the change of this behavior? Is it planned to
support different capabilities per user in the future?

The reason behind my question is, that the Open-Xchange IMAP client
implementation relies on the presence of the ACL capability presented
before the actual login took place.

Thanks for any clarifications.

Regards
Christian