[Dovecot] Date problem after import

Andreas Schenk andreas.schenk at me.com
Tue Aug 3 18:41:08 EEST 2010

Hi,

am running into an import problem:
After I upgraded an Mac OS X 10.5.8 Server to Mac OS X 10.6, not all, but quite some mails show wrong dates. They are dated to the year 2020, which is obviously not possible for mail that has been sent long ago.

Now 10.5 to 10.6 is a move from cyrus to dovecot and the migration scripts used by Apple are supposed to do a nice migration. I have seen this suceed a lot of times, but this time not.

As far as I understand, dovecot uses the modification date of the email to build its index and deleting the index should make it being rebuilt.
But my "wrong" emails also have wrong modification dates. Only the headers inside the mail text still show the correct dates. My guess is, that something got wrong when migrating from cyrus. Even maybe the cyrus db might have been corrupt in the first place. As I can't go back and reimport I have to live with the situation.

My plan to fix it is to write a script to traverse the mailbox hierarchy, delete the index files and have all email files with a modification date in 2020 be set to a modification date that is extracted from its contents "Date:" header.

Now my question is, if you think this way is good, feasible or if another solution springs to the mind of those more adept with dovecot.

Any help is appreciated.

Andi
Andreas Schenk
Tel. +49 1511 5675667

Support / Consulting im Raum Stuttgart mit
www.apfelwerk.de
Twitter: andreas_schenk
ADP | ACT | ACSP | ACTC | ACSA