[Dovecot] Dovecot, Shared Mailboxes (via symlink), and ACLs

Dave dave at momentumweb.com
Wed Oct 28 01:16:09 EET 2009

 >> Now, I have gotten the shared boxes to work IF I changed the permissions
 >> to be rwx for user and group on /home/imapuser/Maildir/*, but this makes
 >> procmail (and .procmailrc) unhappy
 >
 > You'll need to set UNIX permissions in a way that it works.

Thank you for the responses!  OK, it seems from some reading and
experimentation that procmail will bail very quickly if it doesn't like
permissions on its user directories and procmailrc files, so what I
discovered was that I can give EVERYTHING user and group permissions
under imapuser's Maildir (either rwx or rw depending on context) but
that still won't let the shared folders work... although that's part of
it.  Only when I change the permissions of the main imapuser folder
(/home/imapuser in this example) to 770 will it work.  But, that breaks
procmail.  As does 760 or apparently giving any write permissions to
anyone besides the owner.  If I change the permissions to 750,
everything automagically works.  I can move messages, delete, view,
etc.  So, I guess that is that!

 > later version, v1.1.10 is getting a bit old). The ACL it mentions isn't
 > Dovecot ACLs, but filesystem ACLs or perhaps SELinux or something else.
 > I guess I should change the error message.

Thanks for letting me know the difference in the ACLs mentioned in the
error message, that was definitely part of my confusion!!  That put me
on the path to figuring it out. :)
Dave