[Dovecot] Inotify instance limit for user exceeded, disabling?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 29 00:18:01 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 09:21 -0400, dovecot at corwyn.net wrote:
> The error message also implies that something has been disabled. If I
> increase /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_instances will it fix
> automatically, or do I need to do something else?  since it's a
> kernel message, I suspect just restarting dovecot won't do it.

Kernel increases the limit immediately, so you don't need to do anything
else. There's no need to even restart Dovecot (although existing IMAP
processes that failed to use inotify before won't be using it until the
client reconnects).

> And what exactly is breaking when I receive this notification?

When IMAP client uses IDLE command, Dovecot can't use inotify to notify
the client immediately after new message has been received.