[Dovecot] Clustering dovecot?

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu May 28 05:55:01 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 21:47 -0400, dovecot at corwyn.net wrote:

> At 04:21 PM 5/27/2009, you wrote:
> >On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 14:02 -0400, dovecot at corwyn.net wrote:
> >yes, and use NAS  not SAN
>
> Why NAS and not SAN?

Because the two technologies differ and it permits you to run non
clustering FS's,  remember, SAN is block device, so it can only do one
single write operation at a time, NAS, as many as you can throw at it,
each has its own pros and cons, for mail NAS is perfect, for databases,
SAN is better.

> >you could also use DNS load balancing in a away that has  0 cache TTL on
> >MX addresses, thats better than a software based LB if you cant afford a
> >hardware LB
> I'm not sure I understand that. The MX records have little to do with

Your correct (too early in the morning when I sent that) but the same
applies, if its for redundancy set 0 in DNS record for the hosts so if
one fails, retrying has a better chance of getting the alive one, if you
are that worried about it, get yourself a hardware solution, there are
plenty around and cheap enough these days.