[Dovecot] v3.0 architecture

Peter Lindgren peter at norrskenkonsult.com
Wed May 27 22:49:09 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen skrev:
> The big problem is what the protocol should be. Use some existing RPC
> protocol? It should be something extensible so that a plugin in imap
> process can talk to a plugin in storage process, without the base
> processes knowing anything about the details (e.g. imap-quota plugin
> asking quota usage from storage's quota plugin). In any case the client
> side API should be asynchronous. That can make it annoyingly difficult
> to use though. Wonder if I could switch to erlang or something for the
> imap/pop3 processes :)

SOAP / BEEP: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3288.html

You will need to thread calls, waiting for long-running commands. Unless
you switch to Erlang, of course :-)

If you don't overdo the XML document part, you can use your own
implementation or use saxon (sp?) or another serial XML processor.

/Peter
--
Peter Lindgren