[Dovecot] pop3 gives a permission denied error on chdir

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 19 22:50:37 EEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 13:35 +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> May 19 09:16:10 greenchilly dovecot: chdir(/home/vmail/example.com/john)
> failed with uid 5000: Permission denied
..
> I have looked at the archives and see that the problem has been reported
> before, but cannot find any solution. Dovecot as LDA has no problem accessing
> and writing mails to the directory as UID 5000. I suspect that it is trying to
> access some other directory and the error message is misleading. The directory
> /home/vmail/example.com/john is owned by user vmail with UID 5000. Any clues?

And all the directories before that are also available for that user?
Are you using NFS? Are you using SELinux or something? Anyway that
chdir() syscall really failed with that error message. The reason for
that is less clear then.. v1.1+ would give a much nicer error message
here telling exactly what is wrong..