[Dovecot] migration and conversion from courier

Giuliano Gavazzi dev+lists at humph.com
Mon May 18 13:47:56 EEST 2009

On M 18 May, 2009, at 01:00 , Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 00:57 +0200, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
>> There's only one point that escapes me, why perform the conversion
>> when migrating (using the --convert option) given that on the system
>> where I did not perform it the flags have been preserved (the files
>> got their name change consistently). Does dovecot detect the presence
>> of the courierimapkeywords/:list file and use its content?
>
> No.
>
>> Seems
>> unlikely as a grep on the source does not reveal any match. Maybe
>> it's
>> the MUA (Mail.app in the instance I checked) that did synchronise the
>> flags?
>
> I guess something like that is possible. But did you check that it's
> also correct on the server side too and not just on client side?

yes, is on the server: that's why I said that the files had the
consistent name change.
Well, that means that with all its faults Mail.app is not sooo bad!
I checked on another system with many OutLook and Thunderbird clients
and it looks like they might have lost the flags previous to the
change. I could write a script to update those files consistently to
the current dovecot-keywords, when required. This could be an option
of the migration script, say a --fix switch that would make it look in
courierimapkeywords and add the keys to dovecot-keywords when they do
not exist and then update the name of the message files when required.

Giuliano