[Dovecot] LDA and postfix with recipient delimiter: documentation

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Mon May 18 11:26:12 EEST 2009

John Fawcett schrieb:
> Just a comment about the documentation for postfix integration when
> using receipient delimiter and delivery  of user+foo at domain.ext to
> user at domain:
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix
>
> I had some issues to get this working, so thought I'd share my
> experience. Dovecot version 1.2.rc3. Postfix version
> postfix-2.7-20090511.
>
> I have no local (unix) mailboxes, everything is delivered to dovecot,
> so in postfix I have set mailbox_transport = dovecot.
> In this case the following syntax taken from the docs
> does not work:
>
> dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender} -d ${user}@${nexthop}
>
> whereas the following does work:
>
> dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   flags=DRhu user=vmail:mail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender} -d ${user}@${domain}
>
> I think that ${domain} is always what is wanted and only when
> ${nexthop} happens to have the same value as ${domain}
> - for example when using a transport table entry like this:
>
> /etc/postfix/transport
> domain.ext	dovecot:
>
> will the ${user}@${nexthop} form be deliverable.
> Can anyone see a reason for not using always ${user}@${domain}
> instead of ${user}@${nexthop}?
>

> John

Hi John, just for info, in my test server i use

dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
virtual_transport = dovecot

dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender}
-d ${recipient}

without any problems with users full domain layout but without local users
and postfix 2.5.5

currently testing this ( but havent looked about unwanted sideeffects yet)

dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/bin/spamc -e
/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender} -d ${recipient}

evantually i will use
vor having an archive with local users later

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria