[Dovecot] Possibly dumb questions about DC and user/system limits

Jonathan Siegle jsiegle at psu.edu
Fri May 15 13:49:09 EEST 2009

On May 14, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Stewart Dean wrote:

> Warning: fd limit 2000 is lower than what Dovecot can use under full
> load (more than 2054). Either grow the limit or change
> login_max_processes_count and max_mail_processes settings
>
> So I changed the no_size and no_size_hard to 3500 and 4000
> respectively in both dovecot and root
>
> AIX defines nosize:* *Sets the soft limit for the number of file
> descriptors a user process may have open at one time.
>
> an lsuser dovecot returns:
>
> dovecot id=417 pgrp=dovecot groups=dovecot shell=/bin/false
> daemon=true admin=false ... fsize=2097151 cpu=-1 data=262144
> stack=65536 core=2097151 rss=65536 nofiles=3500 nofiles_hard=4000
> I kill dovecot and all children and restart it....same error message
>
> What am I missing?  Does the machine have to be rebooted for the
> no_size to be updated?

AIX should not have to be rebooted for this to happen. For debug, I
would change the shell to a real shell; change the fsize to 600 or
something small; logout and then login(as root and then su or just as
the user) and try to make large files and verify limits. Ping me off
list for more debugging unless people consider this on topic.

-Jonathan