[Dovecot] Fail2Ban and the Dovecot log

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Mon May 11 22:56:45 EEST 2009

Hi,

Is there any way to disable the "dovecot: " at the beginning of each
line of the log?  Fail2Ban responds poorly to it.  I know there are a
number of sites with "failregex" strings for Fail2Ban and Dovecot, but
I've tried them all, and they don't work, at least with the latest
Fail2ban and the latest Dovecot.  The Fail2Ban wiki is pretty clear
about why there will be a problem:

"In order for a log line to match your failregex, it actually has to
match in two parts: the beginning of the line has to match a timestamp
pattern or regex, and the remainder of the line has to match your
failregex.".

So in other words, Fail2Ban expects that each line of the log will start
with a timestamp.

Thanks all!  Dovecot rocks.