[Dovecot] Degeneration of CPU Performance

Thiago Monaco Papageorgiou thiago.monaco at corp.terra.com.br
Thu May 7 21:40:12 EEST 2009

Hello everybody!

    We have a interesting issue about dovecot behavior here. First, the
scenario:
    We have 2 server running with the same load, one with our old pop3
solution (out of date) and other with Dovecot. We realized that dovecot
are comsuming more CPU, and this consumption is growing day by day. When
we starts dovecot, it runs between 40%-45% of CPU consumption and our
old solution runs on 30-35%. This is quite acceptable, so no problem
here. The problem is one day after it jumps to 45%-55% of cpu
comsunption while the old pop3 solution runs on the same CPU consumption
of one day before (30%-35). I attached a graph with this information.

In this graph the green line is dovecot CPU consumption and the blue
line is the old solution.

In this graph we restart dovecot at monday morning. This restart is
noticed as a big fall of CPU consumption(green line) in the graph. After
that, it stay between 40%-45%, one day after it runs on 45%-55% and next
day, it reaches 50%-60%! You can notice that the blue line (old pop3
solution) runs with the same behavior, so we have the same load. We have
other monitoring informations that confirm it.

I looked for some bugs about this, but I didn't find anything. The
question is:
Is there any dovecot problem or wrong configuration that could cause
this degeneration of CPU performance? Any sugestion about what can be
the cause of this?

I attached dovecot -n output. Two important information: we store the
mailboxes in NFS and we are only using pop3 protocol.

Thanks in advance!

--
Thiago Monaco Papageorgiou <thiago.monaco at corp.terra.com.br>