[Dovecot] Unexplainable problem with POP3 quotas

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 1 23:47:09 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 17:36 +0200, Marco Marongiu wrote:
> * send a message slightly smaller than the number of bytes added at
> step 2 (e.g., 2000); we are still under the 80% limit
> * log in via POP to make dovecot update maildirsize

This is the problem. Your MDA should enforce the quota usage. There's no
guarantees that Dovecot updates maildirsize after the Maildir has been
modified externally. Even when it updates it, it uses a different code
path ("quota recalculation"), which doesn't trigger quota warnings.

So use Dovecot's deliver and it'll do the quota enforcing and warnings.