[Dovecot] mailutil?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Mar 27 00:35:44 EET 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> + (re-)index selected mailboxes, maybe recursively, based on mailbox
>>> and/or possibly corrupted, existing indexes
>>
>>> + remove/sanitize (user-) flags from mailboxes
>>
>> I was going to suggest this ... something to at least go through and
>> clean up the size flags on Maildir (which seems worthwhile, especially
>> for people using quotas).
>
> They are not flags, they are part of the base maildir filename. If you
> change them, the message shows up as new. And in any case they should
> never be wrong..

That's what I meant... flags in the filename (sorry if my terminology is a
little off.)

I agree they "should" never be wrong, but that's the point of a cleanup
tool, isn't it?  To fix cases where that "should" assertion fails.

What about someone moving from not having sizes/quotas, to having it?
Wouldn't it be nice if they could update all of their files at once -- much
like the option to re-index.

>>> + transform messages from one storage format into another, keeping
>>> all IMAP-related information, e.g. to find duplicate or unwanted
>>> messages across mailboxes/users.
>>
>> Additional to this would be (plugin permitting) to compress Maildir,
>> or recompress+reindex mbox (Am I right in thinking compressed mbox can
>> be appended to, but not modified?  In which case recompressing could
>> likely save some extra space.)
>
> There is no compression code in Dovecot right now. But you can use
> standard gzip tools to do such things to an existing mbox. Yes, you can
> append more messages to it.

I seem to be having a lot of trouble communicating of late .. :(

Yes, I realise the compression is a plugin (hence the 'plugin permitting')
... I just thought that having an offline tool to help clean up would be
nice.  Perhaps some way to hook it into an expunge phase (seems most logical
to me, at least)...

Ah well... you asked for input on what people would like in such a
"dovetool"... that's mine :)

As for naming, I don't agree with "doveadm" and such, as this appears to
more be a tool for managing mail stores, NOT for admining Dovecot itself --
what I've seen so far suggests it could be used on ANY mail store, not just
one used by Dovecot.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net