[Dovecot] dovecot with IMAP and POP3 mixed

Gary V mr88talent at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 03:28:12 EET 2009

On 3/21/09, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Bill Cole wrote:
> > Andreas Meyer wrote, On 3/21/09 11:16 AM:
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> I tried to setup dovecot to work with IMAP and POP3 but when I connect
> >> with Squirrelmail, I get an error saying CREATE "INBOX.Sent"
> >> reason: Mailbox doesn't allow inferior mailboxes
> >
> > That's for user7, right?
> >
> > The cause of that error is SquirrelMail (using IMAP) is trying to create
> > a mailbox as a child of INBOX, but since user7 is defined as using mbox
> > format, that fails. If you use mbox storage, an IMAP folder can have
> > either messages or subfolders but never both, because when using mbox an
> > IMAP folder containing messages is a file, while an IMAP folder
> > containing subfolders is a directory. See
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/mbox for more info.
> >
> > There *should* be some way to make SquirrelMail stop trying to create
> > its folders under INBOX, but I have no idea if there actually *is* one.
> > Some IMAP servers only allow the creation of folders as children of
> > INBOX, and as a result some (broken) IMAP clients only know how to
> > create folders that way. You can accommodate such software in Dovecot by
> > using namespaces.
> >

> Run the squirrelmail configure program and change the "default folder
> prefix" to blank under "folder defaults".
>
> ~Seth

When I set up a squirrellmail with Dovecot, on the configuration pade
id option D.

D.  Set pre-defined settings for specific IMAP servers

I write in 'dovecot', and it sets a number of setting for me, for example:

Please select your IMAP server:
    bincimap    = Binc IMAP server
    courier     = Courier IMAP server
    cyrus       = Cyrus IMAP server
    dovecot     = Dovecot Secure IMAP server
    exchange    = Microsoft Exchange IMAP server
    hmailserver = hMailServer
    macosx      = Mac OS X Mailserver
    mercury32   = Mercury/32
    uw          = University of Washington's IMAP server

    quit        = Do not change anything
Command >> dovecot

              imap_server_type = dovecot
         default_folder_prefix = <none>