[Dovecot] Panic: Trying to allocate 2147483648 bytes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 20 20:12:55 EET 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 13:57 -0400, David Halik wrote:
> Also, I've been keeping an eye on top while this was running and it
> seems that Dovecot is growing at an amazing rate, which is why it runs
> out of room I guess:
>
>   8081 dhalik     1  58    0 1030M  871M run      0:33  53.29% imap

OK, so it isn't really the kind of bug I first thought it would be.
Instead it's allocating/leaking way too much memory.

> This was while doing a full Pine text search for a word in a folder with
> about 1300 emails. Shortly after it died. Keep in mind that I am only
> able to reproduce this problem with the homedir on NFS and INDEX=MEMORY
> on. The same setup on local disk had no issues.

Can you test what exactly is the difference? INDEX=MEMORY or being in
NFS? I don't see how either of those would make a difference here.

To me it's currently looking like Solaris iconv() is returning some
weird results in some condition.