[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.1.11 failing to accept SSL/TLS connections

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 19 19:34:11 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 14:01 +0000, Mike Brudenell wrote:
> When I upgraded from 1.0.15 I had 1.1.11 telling me off for having the fd
> limit set too low at 2048 when I started Dovecot. Instead it told me to
> raise the limit to at least 10128, so I did. Hence I was a bit surprised to
> find the limit lowered down to 533 if it had told me it wanted the higher
> number.

It's the "dovecot" process that has trouble with the fd limits, because
it needs one fd for each child process (for logging).

> > login_processes_count should be about the same as the number of
> > CPUs/cores on the system (maybe +1).
> >

> We're running a pair of servers, each with 8 CPUs. So I'm guessing my
>
> login_processes_count = 10
>
> should be OK?

Seems like a good value.

> I'm guessing that if I increase login_max_connections from its current 256
> to 1024 this might delay the problem occurring?

I was originally thinking that if you used fewer login processes the
load would be more balanced between processes and might never reach the
max limits then.

> And perhaps if I were
> restart Dovecot in the small hours of the night every few days?

kill -HUP dovecot would be enough.

> Or is an alternative workaround to change login_process_per_connection from
> no to yes?

That would cause you to get thousands of login processes. Probably not a
good idea.

> ...If I were to do this am I right in thinking that imap-login then plays no
> part in SSL-connected IMAP sessions?

imap-login always proxies SSL connections. Then you'd have one process
proxying one SSL connection.