[Dovecot] NFS-error with dovecot 1.1.12

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 18 19:36:54 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 16:42 +0100, Martin Preen wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm testing version 1.1.12 and occasionally there is
>
>   Mar 18 14:40:44 imap2 dovecot: [ID 107833 mail.error] IMAP(xyz):
>   nfs_flush_file_handle_cache_dir: rmdir(/home/xyz) failed: Device busy
>
> It seems that it is related to a crash of the previous imap process
> of that user. And it doesn't seem to cause any problems. So can it
> safely be ignored ?

Yes, you can ignore it, although it means that Dovecot couldn't flush
file handle cache. So if there are multiple servers accessing the same
mbox at the same time you might have locking timeouts due to the OS
caching the existence of the dotlock.

I guess /home/xyz is actually the mountpoint? That's the reason it gives
the EBUSY. Mails are typically stored in a directory that's not a
mountpoint and this error doesn't happen then.