[Dovecot] setting up both system password users AND virtual users

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 13 21:46:54 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 17:54 -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:

> I've got the "system" working, but cannot figure out how to add the virtual system.
> The docs aren't quite clear enough for me to understand.
>
> The wiki example for dynamic passwd-file locations
> shows:  mail_location = maildir:/home/%d/%n/Maildir
> userdb passwd-file  etc etc

dovecot -n output would have been helpful.

> In the case of my virtual users, the mail is stored in INBOX=/mail/VIRTUAL/%d/%u
> and the password file is stored in /exim/etc/VIRTUAL/%d/passwd

The important part is if you're going to use userdb passwd-file or if
userdb static is enough. If static is enough, you can do simply:

# for system users
userdb passwd {
}
# fallback for virtual users
userdb static {
  args = uid=vmail gid=vmail mail=mbox:/home/%d/%n:INBOX=/mail/VIRTUAL/%d/%u
}

> NO home space, but I would consider /home/%d/%u

That's a separate problem. See the bottom of
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Mbox