[Dovecot] Imap logout message on Dovecot restart

RutgerM rutgermm at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 12 22:50:10 EET 2009

I'm trying to receive a "Disconnected" message in my logfile for the
connected imap-clients when I restart dovecot.

When you disconnect a client, you receive the following message in your log:

Mar 12 21:45:55 mail dovecot: IMAP(mailbox at domain.com): Disconnected:
Logged out bytes=7496/22441

When a IMAP client is connected and Dovecot is restarted, this message is
not shown.

This should be solvable by a script like this:

#!/bin/sh
unset LOG_TO_MASTER
export USE_SYSLOG=1
exec /usr/lib/dovecot/imap

But this logs the user that runs the script into the imap server and when
I terminate this terminal I get a "Disconnected" message for the local
linux user, which I don't need of course.

Is there a way to get to what I want ? I want to log my IMAP statics for
every day and I need to "disconnect" my imap clients for it in some way to
receive the Disconnected message and count from there.

Thanks.