[Dovecot] fchown() error with Public Folders

Stephen Carville stephen.carville at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 20:11:51 EET 2009

I was able to get public folders to work with a dedicated account for
the hierarchy and ACL's for individual users.

I have location defined so that each user has a local index and control files

location = maildir:/usr/mail/public/cs/mail:CONTROL=~/Maildir/CS:INDEX=~/Maildir/CS

Now i am seeing the folliwing error in the logs.

dovecot: IMAP(stephen): fchown() failed with file
/home/stephen/Maildir/CS/.Incoming/dovecot.index.log: Operation not
permitted

As I understand it, dovecot runs as root but the the IMAP process that
servicers the request runs as the user so naturally the fchown()
fails.  However it seems the file is never even created.  It there
someting I need to do to get this to work?

I am using 1.1.7

# 1.1.7: /etc/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5 x86_64 CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
protocols: imaps
ssl_cert_file: /etc/pki/dovecot/certs/scacifs02-lnx.dovecot.crt
ssl_key_file: /etc/pki/dovecot/private/scacifs02-lnx.dovecot.key
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
mbox_write_locks: fcntl
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: public
  separator: /
  prefix: CS/
  location: maildir:/usr/mail/public/cs/mail:CONTROL=~/Maildir/CS:INDEX=~/Maildir/CS
  list: yes
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam